The following procedure shows how to restrict an application from running using Software Restriction Policies. More details about Software Restriction Policies and the available options can be found here.
This example shows how to restrict the windows notepad application from executing:
- Start the local group policy editor by typing gpedit.msc in the Start search text box
- Go to Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Software Restriction Policies node
- Expand the Software Restriction Policies node and select Additional Rules
- On the right hand side pane, right click and select New Path Rule…
- Click the Browse button to search for Notepad.exe, select it and set the Security level to Disallowed
- Click OK