8 Tips to remember when securing your Windows systems
- Enable Windows Update and other third-party applications that have update support to update automatically.
- Limit the rights and privileges granted to normal users using the system.
- Set a combination of share and NTFS permissions on files and shared resources.
- Hide any objects that a user is not permitted to access.
- Users with Administrator rights should use the system only when performing administrative tasks. Otherwise use a normal user account.
- Enable User Account Control (UAC) for administrator accounts.
- Use low privileged service accounts for services that do not require elevated privileges.
- Enable windows firewall and install suitable anti-virus/spyware solutions.
There are a number of commercial and open-source tools available to help you perform system security scanning and vulnerability testing of your Windows 7 system, however, the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer is a great tool (free and easy t o use) that checks for compliance with Microsoft’s security recommendations.
Read more about Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer tool here – http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc184924