Problems with Windows SIM
Windows SIM fails to create a catalog for a 32-bit Windows image from a 64-bit version of Windows SIM. To workaround this issue, use the 32-bit version of Windows SIM to create
catalogs for your Windows images.
Different binary versions of Windows SIM cannot create catalog files for some Windows images of different architecture types. MS recommends using the 32-bit version of Windows SIM to create catalog files because this version can create catalogs for all Windows image architecture types. The following list describes the Windows SIM architecture types and
catalogs that can be created for each Windows image architecture type:-
- x86 Image Manager - Can create catalogs for x86, x64, and Itanium-based Windows images.
- x64 Image Manager - Can create catalogs only for x64 Windows images.
- Itanium-based Image Manager - Can create catalogs only for Itanium-based Windows images.
Other Windows SIM problems:-
- Catalog creation fails when the .wim file is in a read-only location, such as on a DVD. The workaround for this issue is to copy the .wim file to a location that has read and write permission for the current user.
- Attempting to create a catalog file for a Windows Vista RTM image fails. This is not a supported scenario with this version of Windows SIM.