By default, Windows 7 gives you those little icons in the taskbar that represent open programs and windows, unlike previous versions where open applications are represented with labels. If you prefer the good old labels then you can return to the classic taskbar by following these simpe steps:
- Right-click an empty space on the taskbar and select Properties.
- From the Taskbar and Start Menu Porperties page, Check the Use small icons option.
- Change the Taskbar buttons option from Always combine, hide labels to Never combine.
- Click OK to save changes.
In addition, to unlock and move the taskbar follow these steps:
- Right-click an empty space on the taskbar. If Lock the taskbar has a check mark next to it, the taskbar is locked. You can unlock it by clicking Lock the taskbar, which removes the check mark.
- Click an empty space on the taskbar, and then hold down the mouse button as you drag the taskbar to one of the four edges of the desktop. When the taskbar is where you want it, release the mouse button
Note: To lock the taskbar into place, right-click an empty space on the taskbar, and then click Lock the taskbar so that the check mark appears. Locking the taskbar helps prevent it being moved or resized accidentally.