Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Sharing the Internet connection over windows 7 requires one computer called the host that is connected to the Internet and to the rest of the computers on the internal network (LAN). Then the computers on the network connect to the Internet via the host computer. The host computer Internet connection can be wireless, modem (Ethernet or USB), 3G card or any similar device. To use ICS make sure that the LAN connection on each computer is configured to get an IP address automatically. This includes the LAN connection of the host computer.
To set up ICS on a Windows 7 computer follow these steps:
- Make sure that the host computer has an Internet connection that is fully functional. That is, you can browse or ping an Internet host such as, www.windows7library.com
- From Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, Right-click the network adapter or connection that has Internet access (such as, Wireless Network Connection) and select Properties – you may be prompted for the administrator password
- From the Properties window choose the Sharing tab
- Check the Allow other networks users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection – if you have more than one LAN adapter, from the Home networking connection: drop-down, select the Local Area Connection that is connected to the internal LAN
- Click OK
- Make sure that the host computer’s internal LAN connection (network adapter) is set to obtain an IP and DNS addresses automatically (dhcp). When connecting the host directly to just one computer through an Ethernet cable, make sure that the cable is of the crossover type.
- Check that all computers on the internal LAN have their Local Area Connection set to obtain an IP and DNS addresses automatically as well.
- Additionally, on the same computers go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center and click Internet Options
- Click on the Connections tab and ensure that Never dial a connection is selected
- Click LAN settings
- From the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings, make sure that the Automatically detect settings, the Use automatic configuration script and Use a proxy server for your LAN are unchecked
- Click OK and test the client/s Internet connection
Note: The sharing tab won’t be available if you have only one network connection and to allow other network users to use services running on your network, from the Sharing tab click Settings and then select the services you want to allow.