How to configure Windows Update
Windows Update allows software updates related to the operating system, default and other Microsoft applications such as WordPad and Office, to be downloaded automatically to clients running Windows 7. To configure Windows Update to automatically download and install these updates follow the steps below:
- In the Start search text box type Windows Update and press enter
- On the Windows Update control panel page, click the Find out more item next to Get updates for other Microsoft products – this opens a web browser window
- Close the web browser windows and in the Windows Update control panel, click the Change Settings item
- Verify that the Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows item is present and enabled
- From the drop menu under Important updates, select Install updates automatically (recommended) – this is the default setting. Set a convenient time to install updates automatically
- Make sure that Give me recommended updates the same way I receive updates and Allow all users to install updates on this computer check boxes are checked (enabled)
- Click Ok and close the Windows Update control panel.
To learn more about Windows Update go here and here.