Windows Automated Installation Toolkit (Windows AIK or WAIK)
The Windows Automated Installation Toolkit (Windows AIK or WAIK) is a collection of tools that help you deploy operating system images to target computers or to a VHD. With Windows AIK you can automate systems installations with up-to-date images and use various deployment options. For the experienced users, with Windows AIK you can create the Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE version 3) which is a 32-bit or 64-bit replacement for the good old MS-DOS client.
Windows AIK tools include:
- Windows SIM:- Opens Windows images, creates answer files, and manages distribution shares and configuration sets
- Deployment Tools Command Prompt – Windows PE tools
- ImageX:- Captures, creates, modifies and applies Windows images
- DISM:- Applies updates, drivers and language packs to a windows image. DISM is available in all installations of Windows 7
- Windows PE tools:- Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment provides powerful preparation and installation tools for the operating system. With Windows PE is a tool that that provides operating system features for installation, troubleshooting, and recovery
- USMT:- Used to migrate user data from a previous version of Windows
- VAMT:- The Volume Activation Management Tool enables network administrators and other IT professionals to automate and centrally manage the Microsoft Windows volume activation process.
- Oscdimg:- Creates ISO images
- Documentation:- All you need to know about these tools
An ISO image of Windows AIK can be downloaded from Microsoft. After you download the ISO image, insert a blank DVD media into the DVD-ROM drive, right-click the file and click Burn Disk Image. To install the Windows AIK tools on a computer follow these steps:
- Insert the DVD media into the DVD_ROM drive.
- On the Welcome screen, click Windows AIK setup
- On the Setup Wizard Welcome page, Click Next
- Select the I Agree check box to accept the license terms. Click Next
- Click Next to accept the defaults on the Select Installation Folder page
- Click Next to start installation
- Click Close to exit
You can access the Windows AIK tools from All Programs\Microsoft Windows AIK menu.